How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hallo Alex, I have written a letter to the builder detailing

This answer was rated:

Hallo Alex, I have written a letter to the builder detailing his request for money for specific items which have not been delivered. The builder visited yesterday and promised to rectify at his expense some of the deficiencies and promised an advance of money for one of the items, a garage door. I have delayed giving him the letter to see if he does keep his promises. He tells me that the money has been spent and that he is unable to return it. I have had another builder in to review the work necessary for completion, his estimate was approx £10,000. He also advised my contacting The Trading Standards organisation. Thank you for your previous advice, what now? John

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : How much is outstanding please?

outstanding is £4000, but remedial work estimated at £10,000. John

Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you