How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Good evening We paid rent in advance at the beginning of the

This answer was rated:

Good evening
We paid rent in advance at the beginning of the month. We decided to surrender tenancy early and we were allowed to do so 1 month in advance according to contract. Landlord asked as to vacate the property 9 days earlier as found new tenants. As we surrounded the tenancy 9 days earlier we assumed that landlord will have to return the money to us for those 9 days that we are no longer occupying the property. No reply from landlord in that regard. We contacted deposit protection scheme but they told us that they have no say in this matter.
Question I have is can we lawfully claim this money back or not?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I presume the new tenants moved in during those 9 days?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, we had a check out with the landlady who confirmed in the email that our tenancy has been terminated


If you surrendered early at their request then you are entitled to your money back because the property isn't available for you to live in.

Further, even if you did leave early without authority to do so, if they moved new tenants in then they have suffered no loss arising from that so you are entitled to your money back.

If it comes to it you can always sue them here

But send them a letter before action warning them of your intention to sue within a specified period of time before you do actually issue against them.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you