How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Matt Jones Your Own Question
Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 671
Experience:  I am a qualified and practising Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Matt Jones is online now

Im not sure which category my questions falls into.My Mother

This answer was rated:

Im not sure which category my questions falls into.

My Mother was killed in a car accident as a passenger in August 1974 (I was 13 and my sister was 12). She had divorced from our Dad years before the accident. Our maternal grandmother (Mums mum ) was brought over from Greece (she was Greek) to look after us. Nan has since died.

We are both now in our 50s and during a recent conversation with my sister about the accident , my sister thinks she remembers hearing that we would get a form of payment/ compensation (as a result of losing Mum in an accident) when we reached 18 years of age.

As young children we were unaware of any compensation and we were not aware of what was really going on . We didn't receive any money when we turned 18.

Would we be entitled to any form of compensation for having lost our Mother in the car accident and having had to grow up without her ?

Could you please advise us and we have no idea where to start with this question.

If you can't help then Im sorry to have wasted your time.

Matt Jones :

Hi I will try and help

Matt Jones :

Would you know if someone (i.e your nan) would have employed a solicitor at any point? Is there any paperwork to this effect?


Hello Matt,


I dont know if Nan employed a solicitor and we have no paperwork at all.


Are you there Matt ?

Matt Jones :

sorry i have just arrived back home at my computer

If we assume that the diver of the vehicle was at fault, there are two ways that your guardians could have claimed on your behalf. The first is a fatal accident claim. This would have given you money for the loss of the support of your parent until you reached the age of majority. The second is a Criminal injuries compensation claim.

If no-one did his then it is too late to do anything about it now as you have 3 years after you turn 18 to bring the claim yourself, and it is too late for that.

If someone did bring a claim on your behalf and just forgot to tell you, or the information got mislaid in the mists of time then the first point of call would be the Court funds office. this is where the money should have gone to be invested for you until you were 18. It is a long shot but you could try contacting them. Here is the website with the information:-

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Matt


If I contact the Court Funds office what sort of info will they need from me?


They will need your names obviously, and other information such as previous addresses, evidence of your identity etc. They will tell you exactly wheat they need
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a time limit with them to contact them as its been nearly 40 years ?


Yes money is classed a unclaimed if it hasn't been touched for 10 years, which is partly why i said this was a long shot. However you never know and it is worth at least contacting them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK..... I will contact them and see what they say then. Thanks for your time.

You are welcome.

If you are happy kindly leave positive feedback. If you think of any follow up question later on you can go back into the question in your client area and ask further

many thanks for your question and all the best.
Matt Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you