How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was sexually abused at Vinehall School by a teacher (I believe

This answer was rated:

I was sexually abused at Vinehall School by a teacher (I believe he was Mr Butler) in the 1960s. I was interviewed by police but never heard if it went to trail or what the result was. How do I find this information please?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

The officer assigned to the case should have told you the outcome.

You can find out by contacting him.

If you were not called to court to give evidence then its very unlikely it did go to trial. It is possible that it went to trial and he pleaded guilty so you were not required but unlikely that you were not warned that you may be needed.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Jo. But I wanted more detail really. Would I have not been called as I was too young to give evidence (11 or 12 I think)? How do I find the 'assigned officer' and where he came from after nearly 50 years? Is their not a 'register of cases' to refer to? I was interviewed by CID officers at school (witnessed by my headmaster). There was another young child who was similarly abused by this Mr Butler so I would be surprised if the case was dropped. It would have been Sussex police. Vinehall Prep School is near Robertsbridge, Battle, Sussex.
Should I approach the school and them to research it further?
Thank you. You have left a negative rating but asked for more information which seems inconsistent. I will be happy to carry on with this if the negative rating was a mistake. I know thats easy to do as I’ve done it myself in other categories.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
You would have been called to give evidence if the matter went to court. However old you were there is no way of prosecuting a case without witnesses realistically.

If it was a report made 50 years ago then the officer will no longer be serving but the force may have a record.

I'm afraid it is likely that the case was dropped. Many of them are for lots of reasons.

You could ask the school but they are not really the appropriate source of information and unlikely to have a record now although it might have been in your school records