How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

After putting a deposit down on a commercial property I found

Customer Question

After putting a deposit down on a commercial property I found that it was no longer in my interests to take on the tenancy so declined to sign the lease. As a goodwill gesture I told the agent that I would like to cover any reasonable costs that the landlord had incurred. I have since been presented with two bills, one for £450 for preparation of the lease (it was a simple 3 year commercial lease with no unusual features), and a bill for £375 from the landlord for a vehicle lift that I request be removed from the unit before my tenancy commenced, and the removal of shelving (which I had not requested).
The agent has made no mention of the deposit I have paid and is proving difficult to contact (I have left three messages with his secretary but had no response).
Please can you let me know where I stand on this matter in regards XXXXX XXXXX deposit, I'm under the impression that it should be returned to me as the paper work states that it is a deposit STC. Also does the bill for the lease preparation seem reasonable? I was shocked at the cost as the last two leases have been far less costly to set up.
Many thanks for any advice.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

So I can answer you fully, could you please clarify on what basis you paid this Deposit?
Did you pay it to the Agent and did you get anything in writing from them concerning the Deposit payment, and if so, please let me know what it said.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello AL,


I was sent paper work headed

'Proposed Lease Of......address of property....Subject to Contract'


The section relating to the deposit reads:

A cash deposit, Subject to Contract, received on 29th April 2014 in the sum of One Thousand Pound (£1000) as surety to be returned to the Tenant upon compliance with the terms of the Lease at the end of the term.



Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Did you sign the lease please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



no i didn't sign the lease. I informed them of my decision not to go ahead with the tenancy after receiving the contract but did not sign it.

Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
If you have not signed it you do not even need to pay their fees. You really don't have to, it's not legally binding as you have not signed.

As for the deposit:

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: