How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

In September 2012 my identity was stolen and used several times

This answer was rated:

In September 2012 my identity was stolen and used several times online to secure "pay day loans". I registered my self with Equifax and Exsperian and also put myself on the CIFAS. After some phone calls and letter writing I had seemed to have cleared up all the mess caused by the theft. On the 8/3/14 I receive a letter from Moorcroft debt recovery ltd...saying I owe an outstanding debt to Lending Stream (Zebit) of £821.50... I have never taken any loan with that company and have certainly never signed any agreement. I have written to them explaining the situation and also asked them to supply me with a copy of the credit agreement.... which they should have supplied within 12 working days has taken them two months. Now i have received the agreement where it should have been signed it has my name typed in and where they should have signed it says Signed for (or on behalf of) Creditor : Zebit ( trading name of lending Stream LLC). I have never signed any agreement with this company ..How do I stand on this?

Thank you


Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Did you report all the previous incidents to the police and have you now reported this one to the police?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did register the batch of incidents on the online fraud line at the time in 2012 and also registered with CIFAS.

I have not registered this latest one, as it stems from back then in 2012.


You need to report this to Action Fraud and if necessary, the Police. You need an incident number.

Once you have the incident number right back to the lender and the debt recovery people giving them the incident number and telling them to take this up with the police.

That should be the end of the matter but if they decide to continue to persue you make a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman and tell them that you have done so.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have just found the original action fraud ref number...should I report it again still or should I use the original ref number in the letter to Moorecroft?

As this is a separate incident, I think you should report it as a separate incident although the Action Fraud operator will advise you whether they can add this on. I think it unlikely and they will give you a different incident number

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile