How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71056
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My name is***** was taken into police custardy for

This answer was rated:

My name is***** was taken into police custardy for a crime I did not do. I was held for 18 hours I have been on medication for over ten years and was refused my medication I had nothing to eat or drink for 14 hours and I asked if they would inform my wife which they did not this legal. What would you suggest I do

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

The reason they refused your medication is that police officers are not doctors and cannot give you medication. Obviously a large number of offences are committed by people dependent on drugs and the police cannot medicate.

They would have summonsed a police doctor to examine you although I know they can take their time at attending.

In any event, unless you suffered any adverse reaction there is no claim arising from that.

In relation to the fact of the arrest, they only need reasonable grounds for an arrest rather than to prove that you were actually guilty.

They should have offered food at regular meal times unless you were in a sleep period. The food in a police station is not fantastic but it is available. If they didnt offer food then you could complain about that to the IPCC although its not worthy of a claim.

You do have the right to have somebody informed of your arrest. If your wife was a witness or victim then that would be inappropriate though. If she was not then there is a provision to stay a person's communication but only really for very serious offences where there is a real risk of the perversion of justice.

You are usually offered a phone call upon being booked in.

If they did fail to do the things you mentioned above then you could complain about that to the IPCC but its not worth a claim unless, of course, the inital arrest was unlawful.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you