How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I have had a parking ticket attached to my car today. The

Customer Question

I have had a parking ticket attached to my car today.
The ticket says that I have "stopped where prohibited (on a red route or clearway" however there are no yellow lines painted on the road, notices/signs on the side of the road regarding parking restrictions or any clearway signs displayed.
Can I challenge this ticket on the grounds that there is inadequate signage?
Many Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Just to clarify: are you saying there are no lines or signs? Or that you did not see them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are no yellow lines painted on the road and no signs at the side of the road (attached to lamp posts etc). There is an end of clearway sign displayed/attached to a lamp post approx. 30 metres down the hill from where I was parked and thus out of sight from where I parked but there is no restriction sign displayed as you enter the road from a mini round about.


Judging by the number of cars (more than 6) that had tickets attached to them I think I am not the only caught out today


Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK, understood.

Inadequate marking and/or signage is certainly a ground of appeal and if what you say is correct then you should be successful in having the PCN cancelled. As a first step you should make informal representations to the issuing authority to cancel the PCN. The chances are they will disagree with you and issue a notice to owner - you can then make formal representations. If this is rejected you can appeal to the parking appeal tribunal.

The ground of appeal you should rely on is that no contravention occurred. In support you will need to provide as much evidence in support of your case as possible - preferably photographs of the location. You may also wish to contact the local authority to obtain the traffic orders for that section of road to see what the regulations are. You can then see whether or not there has been compliance with the order. But the key tio success is preparation and evidence.

Can I assist further?