Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law

Under probate law, if a beneficiary can not be found and may

Under probate law, if a beneficiary can not be found and may have emigrated, what steps can be taken? His share is relatively small and could soon be used up in professional search fees.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

In situations such as this, the Executor should take out Missing Beneficiary Indemnity Insurance. Most of the main Insurance Companies have such a policy and I would advise the use of a good insurance Broker or the Solicitor dealing with the Estate, to find the best deal.

I hope that this answers your question.

Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand that it was possible at one time to pay unclaimed money into Court. Is such a course of action no longer available and if not is there a new alternative?

Hi Deryk,

Thanks for your reply.

You can still pay money into Court and obtain a receipt, but nowadays, on the basis that these beneficiaries are very unlikely to turn up, the "new thing" to do is to take out a policy, and this then enables the Executor to distribute the estate fully and on the basis that the missing beneficiaries were not beneficiaries, meaning that the known beneficiaries get a bigger share of the Estate.

I hope this clarifies matters for you.

Kind Regards