How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71146
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If you ask the police to help with neighbours who have had

This answer was rated:

If you ask the police to help with neighbours who have had a three day party, should they assist or just ignore it. The neighbours are tenants, we own our home. The environmental agency have recorded before the noise they make every weekend since they have moved in and have sent notice to them and the landlady. The landlady has said she can not do anything as she is unable to by law check her own property but says they owe her rent, have broken their tenancy contract by smoking in the property and are now subletting to others. I have had to leave my home because it is causing me to be ill, I am suffering with panic attacks & have recently come out in hives. Today I left my partner at our home as he refuses to be pushed out of our first home which was supposed to be happy home together. They have also started throwing things at our home and have spat at my mother who did nothing but come to my front door. I believe that the police are afraid to do anything as these people are foreigners. My partner is soon to leave to go to Afghanistan as he is in the RAF and is worrying about me being left alone with such aggressive neighbours. Please help

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but if its just noise levels alone then that is not a police matter. That is a matter for the local council to resolve.

The police are not refusing to act because they are foreigners. Its just not within their remit I'm afraid.

I cannot really add much to this. Its just plain not a matter for the police if the issue is rowdy parties alone.

They do retain a discretion to refuse to act upon a report but thats not the reason they are not acting here.

I'm very sorry but thats your position and I have to give you truthful information.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its not just parties but abuse from them, missiles being thrown at ours and adjoining neighbours house, family being spat at when turning up at our home and also the fact that the landlady knows that cannabis has been smoked there and we can smell it in our property. We are not concerned about nationality but being able to live in our own home peaceably with all our neighbours and when there is a problem which can not be resolved through all the right channels, as law abiding tax payers , plus my partner putting his life on the line for everyone in this country to be able to live in their own homes without being threatened or feeling too afraid to live in their own home as I am now feeling. I would expect something in the law to help us .

There would be some offences in the events you describe.

The police are free to refuse to investigate but thats not likely unless you have a long standing history of making vexatious reports.

They are not likely to act upon a report that you can smell cannabis alone but sptting is a common assault and the missiles would amount to either an assault or a public order incident.

Its obviously not an emergency situation though so they may have commitments immediatley.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you