How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I separated from my partner nearly three years ago. We have

Customer Question

I separated from my partner nearly three years ago. We have a house together and he changed the locks to the house and I could not go back. I put £10,000 pounds into the house when we first moved in together but I left with nothing, we tried mediation but he didnt turn up for our first meeting. I have tried to contact him but he never answers. I am married now and rent a house i,m worried if he does not pay the mortgage then i will have to and i cant afford it so I have told him I am willing to walk away with nothing just for hi to take my name off the mortgage but he still will not answer me ans i,m at a loss now what to do.

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage.
Just to check - the house is held in joint names?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was valued in 2011 at £80/90 thousand. The mortgage left is around £70 thousand. The house is in joint names.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no not in this relationship

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
In that case the way forward is relatively straightforward.
You should write to your ex giving him 28 days to either obtain your release from the mortgage or to market the property
You shoudl warn him that if he does not do so you will be making an application to the court for an Order for the sale of the property
When he ignores it then you shoudl go ahead and apply
More details here
You will be successful
Please ask if you need any further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will I need a solicitor to apply to the courts or can I do it myself?

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
It is not the simplest of applications - but you are certainly entitled to do it in person if you wish