How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Good evening, i have a property worth 180,000 with no Mortgage. When

This answer was rated:

Good evening,
i have a property worth 180,000 with no Mortgage.
When i got divorced there was a Legal Charge put on the property of 40%, paying my ex wife when the children finish full time education.
She has since died and my 2 kids have 20% each of the legal is held in Trust.
What happens now if i want to sell my property, where is the 40% of the sale put?



Do both your children beneficially own 20% each of the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My children own 40% of the property ( Legal Charge - 40% interest in the property 50/50 share each )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you require any more info


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello uksolicitorja,


not sure if your now offline, i have to leave for work in 10 mins, but one last bit of info that i forgot to give children are 18 & 13 yrs of age and they live with me.




Look forward to your reply

Thank you Mark.

As you say the children's shares are held in trustso you will have to pay their share from the proceeds of sale into the trust fund. You will need to establish what the nature of the trust is, who the trustee is, what its terms are etc.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when i sell the house and use a Solicitor for Conveyancing, would he be able to sort this side of things out as well?


Yes, this is possible of the right solicitor is appointed.

All the best-please leave feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.