How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hello, A few months ago I opened an import/export company.

This answer was rated:


A few months ago I opened an import/export company. We placed our first order with a company called Kendus B Cosmetics for Gillette razor blades. The initial unit total was for 300. We paid for this but they returned saying we need to increase our order due to shipping costs. We encountered further problems with this order with regards ***** ***** charges and we had to increase our order several times. So far we have paid £3,500 but have still yet to receive any of our order. This has been going on for three months now. The company is based in Texas and the head office is in London. we have transferred the money into an English bank account. We have only been in contacted via email as the telephone numbers on the invoice don't appear to be working. they keep saying the order will be delivered but nothing comes from it. They won't provide any delivery details whatsoever. We now want our money back. Is there any way of obtaining this?

Yes, you may file a court claim against the company using their UK head office address, the easiest way to do so is online at

If they are a genuine company, I would expect them to refund your money once they receive court summons.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you