How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a parish member who has asked me for advice on debt.

Customer Question

I have a parish member who has asked me for advice on debt. Eleven years ago she was involved in an energy saving business where she acted as a sales agent. The founder of the company died and the control of the business passed to a criminal.- who immediately stopped paying the commissions owed - at that time £12,000 per month. My parish member had taken the opportunity to develop her farm and took out loans of £45,000 based on the commission income which was scheduled to run for two more years. A legal battle ensued which took all of my parish members assets and although she won the case the criminal liquidated the company and did not go to arbitration as agreed in court. The eleven year old debt was not paid but my parish member is of an advanced age and does not want to land the debt on her children. She has not responded to debt companies. Advice please.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

The first point to be aware of is this individuals debts will not transfer to her children personally. The creditor will only be able to claim from the assets in the estate of this individual.

Can you tell me anything about the debt? Has she been making payments towards it? Is it secured?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. You say 'free advice but this reply is insufficient for me to suggest to my my parishioner that she proceeds further using your service. Please note that I do not wish to proceed further.

Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

I see the expert has opted out - do you still need help please?