How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have reieved a letter from HMRC regarding Child Tax Credits.

Customer Question

I have reieved a letter from HMRC regarding Child Tax Credits. I have had payments for my child from September 2013- 2014, my child attened her 1st yr at University; I did not realise that the Tax credits were not allowed for this part of her education, therefore I have had these payments and I should not have! I have made a genuine mistake here but I am very worried about completeing this docutment, as it stats any wrong payments can result in a £3000 fine. I completly understand I will have to pay back any over payments. But I need adivse on any coresspondance I may have with HMRC to prevent prosecution and a large fine. Thank you for your time
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will need to write a letter to the HMRC regarding my mistake, they clearly say if I deliberately or negligently give false information I can be fined; I did not make a claim for Tax credit fruduantly, it was a mistake. I need advice on my correspondence to HMRC.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

So are you asking me to check a letter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not yet written a letter; I have been asked to respond to a HMRC letter regarding the Tax credits paid to me over the past 7 months. These payments were paid due to me not notifying the HMRC that my child was at University and not in full time education. I understood full time education as all education. I did not know that it excluded University, as I am a single working parent paying solely for my child. I thought tax credits coverd all education until a childs 20th birthday. The letter I have received has suggested I seek advise from a professional to add any thing I wish to be taken into account when they decide whether to charge me a penalty and the amount I need to repy. Clearly the wording is crucial as I have made a genuine mistake and I am seeking your advise in my accompanying letter.

regards Fiona

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I understand your position and I am sorry if Im missing the point but I'm not sure what your specific question is?

I can check over a letter you have written

I cannot compose a letter on your behalf under the rules of this site but I can look over yours.