How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have heard that if you are an unfurnished tennent and have

This answer was rated:

I have heard that if you are an unfurnished tennent and have been in residence for over 11 years that you have some statutory rights is this true?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I work at kew gardens and I live in an unfurnished flat that is administered by Kew but is actually crown property

The flat costs 10% of my basic pay and I am on-call 24 hours a day

I have been there 22 years in August but my tenancy agreement states that Kew only need to give me one months notice I have been told that after 11 years unfurnished tenants have some rights and can not be given just a months notice to get out



Thank you.

Since 1988, there has been no difference between furnished and unfurnished properties as far as security of tenure is concerned, so you do not get statutory rights as such but before you can be lawfully made to vacate the property, the landlord/employer would need to get a court order for possession andafter that, send bailiffs to remove you.

You do not need to move out when the 1 month notice expires, until a court order is obtained forcing you out. This process can take a few months.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you