How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71135
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A builder renovated the bungalow next door to my daughters

This answer was rated:

A builder renovated the bungalow next door to my daughter's house, the last job being rebuilding an adjoining garden wall at the front between her property and the bungalow. He left all the old bricks, concrete and rubble on my daughter's property, behind the front gate, quite a pile. I have asked him, on behalf of my daughter and at her request, to remove the rubble and he keeps promising but without a result. This has gone on now for about 3 months. What can we do?

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to know what my next action should be.


I deal with all my daughter's admin as she is a very busy professional. The lady who moved into the bungalow is elderly, I have had a friendly chat with her and she is aware that I am chasing her builder. She, also, has issues with him as he promises to do things but never delivers.

The simplest way of dealing with this is to tell him that unless he removes this, you will get it moved and you will seek the costs from him, through the Small Claims Court if necessary. It is always better to put it in writing.

Here is the link to the Small Claims Court

Obviously your daughter must deal with any legal proceedings although I would be very surprised if it got that far.

Of course, this is the neighbour's rubbish and she also has a liability but I appreciate that you may not want to pursue her would rather pursue the builder.

Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the advice which I will follow. I realise that my daughter will have to take the action in her name but will do the paperwork on her behalf for her to sign.


I will also take photos of the mess and copy our neighbour in on what we are doing to keep the good relationship up. She is a lovely lady and we do not want to upset her.


This man is a menace!



No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.