How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello Please can you advise on where I stand legally

This answer was rated:

Please can you advise on where I stand legally on A Friend Lending Another Friend Money-----this happened several years ago. Thank You

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I lent a friend, several years ago, some money and I'd like to know where I stand in trying to get this friend to pay it back. So far he has avoided my verbal requests.

How much money please and how long ago?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

£3800 8/9 years ago

When did he last acknowledge the debt please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have never mentioned the debt, either of us, for several years. I only mentioned this last Sunday and have left him further messages but is avoiding answering me. There is nothing in writing only a verbal agreement made several years ago.

Thank you.

I'm afraid that it is bad news.

You have a claim. This is a simple contractual dispute where he is borrowed money and failed to repay it. It doesn't matter that you do not have a written contract as long as you can evidence it in other ways.

The difficulty is that you time-barred under the Limitation act 1980. You had 6 years to sue from the date of last acknowledgement and you seem to accept that that was more than 6 years ago.

You can apply to extend time under section 32 of the limitations act but is not lightly granted and you would need an extremely good reason for the delay.

You could also try to get him to acknowledge the debt now and argue that time starts running. Obviously he may not do that and the court may not accept it but it is an option for you.

I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you