How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Someone has put a post on facebook calling me a

This answer was rated:

Someone has put a post on facebook calling me a 'f**king c**t' and told people not to buy from my shop(mentioned by name) what options do I have for redress?

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

You can complain to Facebook. That may succeed.

You could sue this individual in defamation potentially. Its really just foul abuse which is not defamation but the naming of your shop might offend. That is a very expensive action though and unless this person is in a highly paid job there would be no point.

You could seek an injunction forcing him to remove the post. That is quite expensive but cheaper than defamation.

You could report it to the police as a malicious communication although I have to be honest and tell you that its very unlikely the police would have any interest in this. They have been fairly clear that they do not intend to police comments on Facebook.

Alternatively you could get a solicitor to write to them warning them of the need to desist from comments of that kind and remove the post. That is often quite effective and would cost about £100 plus VAT.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This was posted by the daughter of a disgruntled ex-employee and is the culmination of a series of events including verbal threats from ex-employee. The exact wording was 'Never buy anything from ******** they are horrible people' This post will have been seen by a large number of our customers. I am more concerned about this, than about personal insults.
Yes, I do see that. It is more defamatory than foul abuse. Defamation isnt' really an accessible action though.

A solicitor's letter might cause her to remove it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK Thanks for the advice. Will probably go down the route of solicitor's letter.
Just to clarify, is payment a one off, or a subscription. I was asked for payment of £33 to get question answered, then given option to sign up for subscription?????
No problem and all the best.

You need to email customer services about the subscription issue but they can do that for you. You can do so here***@******.***

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you