How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10776
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My wife and I have entered the final stages of renting a house.

This answer was rated:

My wife and I have entered the final stages of renting a house. We have just today decided we would like to walk away from the house and give up the week's deposit we paid to take the house off the market. The difficulty is that my wife signed the tenancy agreement, while I did not. We are listed jointly on the AST as the Tenant. Is the agreement legally binding with just my wife's signature?
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please clarify if the Tenancy Agreement signed by you has been returned to the Letting Agents and have you received a copy of the dated AST signed by the Landlord, with confirmation of the start date for the Tenancy?

Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have not received back the dated AST signed by the landlord. Only my wife has signed, I have not. The estate agent is still waiting on me to sign the AST

Hi again,

Thanks for clarifying matters.

Well, I am pleased to say that the AST is not valid until you, as joint Tenant, has signed the Agreement and it has been agreed via the Agents, as to the date to be inserted in it.

I am afraid you will lose your Deposit, but you are aware of this.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does this mean we can simply inform the estate agent I will not be signing or is there some method of them executing the agreement and dating it without my signature?

Hi Matt,

The Agent certainly can't sign the Agreement on your behalf.

All you need to do is to notify the Agent, preferably by email or letter that you have decided not to proceed, and that will be the end of the matter.

Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you