How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My mother is extremely ill and looks like she will need to

This answer was rated:

My mother is extremely ill and looks like she will need to go into a home very soon for 24 hr care. She owns her own bungalow and has £27,000 savings. Can she have a transfer deed drawn up so government cant touch her home? I am a signatory on her building society account...can I transfer money to my children without her signature so her savings are reduced and she will get residental home paid for by the Government?

If she is deliberately signing over her property and assets to avoid care home fees, then the local authority has the power to force whoever receives the property and assets to to pay for her care fees.

If she does this more than 2 years before she goes into care, it is less likely that the transaction will be challenged, if she does so within 6 months, it will be challenged.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you