How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35045
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am in the middle of a divorce after about 23 years my wife

Customer Question

I am in the middle of a divorce after about 23 years my wife has applied for pension sharing rights I was in receipt and had been drawing my pension about 6 years prior to meeting and marrying her does she still have a legal right to make a claim on it
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are you both and what income does your ex have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am 72 and Retired she is 43 and works in finance for the NHS she currently earns £14,500 per annum

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

cancel my request for help as you keep telling me that my Email address is in use by another person and please refund my money this site is very unprofessional


Tony Lown


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ME 72 Retired


Wife 43 NHS works in Finance income £15000

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
My apologies for the delay
You wife certainly has the right to make the claim - but how successful that claim would be is a very different matter.
How successful such a claim would be depends on what income you have from the pension and how any reduction would effect you; plus what other assets there are.
I suspect the court will be reluctant to make an order that will have an immediate and detrimental effect on you and from which she will not benefit for more than twenty years
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details