How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I applied for retrospective repayment of Care home fees, on

This answer was rated:

I applied for retrospective repayment of Care home fees, on behalf of Aunt, who passed away in April 2006. I was informed any claim had to be received by by September 30th 2012, which I duly did. The claim was against Sandwell PTC in the West Midlands. In March 2013 I received a letter requesting a copy of her will, which was duly supplied. Last year the NHS changed the name of the former body to Sandwell and West Birmingham Commissioning Group. I still had not heard anything, so I phoned in May this year. This week I received a letter to state I now had to apply to Birmingham, as my Aunt's GP had a Birmingham address. This GP Practice was actually in Sandwell when she registered many years ago, then a new practice was built on the Sandwell/Birmingham border. She was in the Care home from 2000-20006, and any GP in attendance was one connected to the home, and her death certificate was signed by them too. This argument seems ridiculous to me, apart from an almost two year delay in any response. I am sending a formal letter of complaint, and intend to contact the Ombudsman. Am I right to feel that Sandwell provided the health Care, so, Sandwell are responsible for paying any retrospective fees.

Yes, it would appear that your analysis is correct and Sandwell PCT would have been responsible for refunding the fees. Obviously Sandwell PCT is now Sandwell and West Birmingham CCG:

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you