How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I live in Thailand. my house in England is rented out via a

This answer was rated:

I live in Thailand. my house in England is rented out via a letting agent.I am having trouble with getting the rent paid to me. Also I have received no statements since July 2013.
For the last 10 to 12 weeks I have sent email after email and either they are not answered or I;m basically fobbed off.I am at a loss of what to do as I live in Thailand.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Has the tenant paid do you know? What type of tenancy are they on please?
Alex Watts : Are you able to respond at all?
Are you able to see this now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As far as I know the tenant is upto date with his rent.The tenancy agreement I'm not sure.I believe the tenant or I have to give atleast 1 months notice.Also tenant should pay one month in advance.

So the agent is keeping the money, is that right? When you say fobbed off, what is being said?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As far as know they must be keeping the money as they are now 2 months behind and when they do pay it's not on time..

When they fob me off they say they will pass my message on to accounts or they just do not reply at all.I cannot even get my statements.

many thanks.

You should to write and set out your losses and ask for a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court. Make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings which can be done online at: or by competing form N1 at:

The Court will then issue the claim which will be sent to the Defendant and they will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce it. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a hearing. If the losses are £10,000 or less then it will be a small claim and you do not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have carried out the companys complaints process after which I can forward a complaint to the Tenants Property Ombudsman for his action.

If I do not agree with his findings I can then go through the courts.

many thanks.

Yes of course. all the best.