How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a 57 yr old male Bristish National. I have recently married

This answer was rated:

I am a 57 yr old male Bristish National. I have recently married (in the UK) a Chinese National (Jane). Jane currently lives in Shenzhen China and came to the UK under a 'Marriage Visit Visa' for us to marry. Jane has an 11yr old daughter from a previous marriage in China. The documentation we provided to obtain the 'Marriage Visit Visa' included divorce papers, details of our history, income, accommodation etc.
We now wish to move Jane and her daughter permanently to the UK to live as a family at our house in Kent.
I don't think we have any problem in Jane obtaining a long stay or residency visa, the question/concern I have relates to Jane's daughter. Jane has been totally responsible for her well being, education and day to day living since her divorce 2yrs ago. The ex-husband see's their daughter perhaps 1 weekend per three or four months. Clearly he may wish to retain some form of access to her if she moves to the UK, which I totally understand and have no argument with. My concern is how the British Embassy would view Jane and I taking the daughter to the UK. Would we need to obtain some letter from the ex-husband stating that he has no problem with his daughter moving to the UK? If such a letter is required, what wording would the British Embassy like to see to satisfy themselves that we are not simply taking the daughter away from her father and barring any future access.
I would appreciate your advice on this matter.
Bill Pitchford
Email: *****@******.***
Tel: 07808 481414
Hello Bill,

As part of Jane's divorce from her ex husband, what court order if any were made regarding residence etc arrangements for her daughter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

May I send you a copy of her divorce document? If so, please advise email address of here to send - or can I upload on this site?


Bill Pitchford



You may try uploading the document here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please see attached. Notes 2 and 3 apply.


I'm not sure that the upload has worked. Please advise if you don't see attached pdf.



Bill Pitchfordfile://localhost/Users/billpitchford/Desktop/China.DivorsceDoc.pdf

i will review and revert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Sir, I am still awaiting your advice from June 12. Please can you respond urgently.



Bill PItchford

Hello Bill,

My apologies for the delay in coming back to you.

The court order gives the father access rights to the daughter and he would need to give written consent that he has no objection with the daughter moving with Jane to the UK. If he refuses to do so, a court order would be required allowing the daughter to move to the UK with Jane.

There is no special wording for the letter of consent, it could merely say that the father has no objection to the child moving to the UK with Jane and that he supports the daughter's UK visa application.

The UK Embassy may get in touch with him by phone to verify that he did write the letter freely.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your comments and advice.


Can you also advise me what documents I would need to show that prove that bI have suitable accommodation in the UK for my wife and daughter to move into?


Bill Pitchford

Hello Bill,

Please leave feedback for the answers already given.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have commented back per your request and also settled Bill and Tip, but I note that I still have an outstanding question with you regarding what documentation am I expected to show to prove that I have suitable accommodation for my wife and daughter and the ownership of that accommodation.

Thank you

Bill Pitchford

Usually, a certified copy of the title document or tenancy agreement as well as a property inspection report from qualified experts is provided, see here:

All the best