How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My wife and I are currently working on rebuilding our marriage

This answer was rated:

My wife and I are currently working on rebuilding our marriage after I had an 8 month affair which ended 3 months ago. However, the 3rd Party involved, despite claiming to want no further contact, seems intent on trying to derail the process, most recently sending a letter and some personal effects from the affair to our home. Up until now my wife has not had a voice and would like to send a letter, via a solicitor, advising that we are moving forward with our lives and, as she has asked of us, we want no more contact from her whether by phone, text, e-mail, letters, turning up on the doorstep etc...... Is there some form of Legal letter we can issue which "infers/threatens" further action should she continues to, what feels like, harrass us ?

Yes, you may go to a local High Street solicitor and ask them to send a letter on both your behalf to this third party asking her to stop contacting either of you and if she continues, that a complaint will be made to the police as harassment is a criminal offence.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for this, which is kind of what we thought. With regard to the High Street solicitor, should we draft a letter and have them rewrite it in a "legal way" taking out anything they think is irrelevant and do you have any idea what they might charge? Finally, would the 3rd Party be in a position to respond to this Solicitor's letter and get into a "tit for tat" type of discussion using their own legal support? If they did I assume the correspondence would be addressed to the Solicitor rather than our home address?

The cost depends on what you are able to negotiate with the solicitor, typically a hundred pounds.

The solicitor will write the letter, you do not need to worry about drafting something and the solicitor can say in the letter that all further correspondence must be with them and that the third party must not contact yourselves.

The other option is to get the police involved as they may caution the person for harassment.

Please leave feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will leave positive feedback as advice received so far is useful and much appreciated but could you answer the piece about the 3rd Party having recourse on our Solicitor's letter i.e. could they get a Solicitor involved as well and start a "tit for tat" type dialogue? Thank you..

I do not see that happening. The third party should be thanked for their assistance and involvement so far and formally told that it is no longer required and that any attempts to contact either of you would be seen as harassment.

I would say this should keep them away and there is no room for a tit for tat exchange.

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure I'd go alongwith the "thanked for their assistance and involvement so far" but thank you for your help and guidance on this. Will decide whether to take this next step very shortly. Bye..

Ok, noted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you get my last item about issuing a personal letter ????? If not, I'll retype...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm going to resend something as I'm not sure you got it... I was asking whether, if my wife issued a personal letter to the 3rd party (to give her a voice in putting right a few things), while at the same time asking that no more contact be made (and committing to the same), it could be construed as harrassment or at least weaken our position legally if the 3rd party then made contact again?

It would make your case stronger if the third party has already been asked in writing to stop contact and they still continue doing so.

Hope this clarifies
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really... I want to understand the downside of my wife writing a letter direct in simple terms..

There is no downside involved in your wife writing the letter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK - so it could not be seen as harrassment by us, if my wife wrote a letter back (her first by the way !) in response to the letter we received from the 3rd party at our house recently. Presumably however, it would not stop the other person sending more things through to us without the weight of some legal backing.. Finally, could my wife include some personal comments (e.g. "we are now moving forward in a positive way") in a solictors letter to let the other person know the affair is completely. She would like (and I think deserves) to have the last say in some way.

Yes, that would be fine to let the third party know that your relationship is moving forward in a positive way.

All the best. I trust all your queries have been answered.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You've not really answered the question fully.... Please try to address all of the points in my last note and then we're done.. Thank you.

If a solicitor wrote to the third party in response to their letter, it would not be would also not be harassment if your wife responded personally in her own letter, harassment needs at least 2 instances of contact.

No, it would not stop the third party coming back with other things but they could be in danger of causing harassment .

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you