How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71040
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

hi someone stole £34000 from me 7 years ago is there away a

Customer Question

hi someone stole £34000 from me 7 years ago is there away a can get justic
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Why didn't you report it at the time?

When did she last acknowledge this debt?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

as i said i did not report it at the time as we agreed she would use it for maintenance for our daughter now 7 years on when she as spent all the money she as made an application to cms for maintenance


she acknowledge the thief 2 weeks ago to me but if we go to court an she denies it can i ask for a lie detector test which i shall pay for

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
No, I'm afraid not. At least, you can ask for one but there isn't a power to force her and anyway its not admissible in court because they are notoriously unreliable.

You can always make a report to the police. Theft is not a summary only offence so there are not time barring rules. However, the practical reality is that they tend not to become involved in stale offences. Its free to try and this a large amount so it would be worth doing so.

You can also sue. You do have a claim in conversion. You are time barred under the Limitation Act 1980 unless you can show some form of acknowledgment within the last six years but you seem to be saying that she did acknowledge recently so you can rely on that.

This does exceed the small claims court arena though so costs will be an issue. You can claim them back from her but you have to out lay them first.

Can I clarify anything for you?