How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I submitted a claim for damage

This answer was rated:

I submitted a claim for damage to a glass dining table, which 'shattered'. The loss assessor called, and agreed to the claim and even SENT ME A LETTER agreeing to recommend payout out for the full amount claimed - a 'minor' claim of £305 total! He called me yesterday to say actually he had NOW found I was NOT entitled to a refund for the 'incidental' damage and is cutting my claim down by £50.00. as i have the letter, confirming my entitlement of £305, is he within his rights to CHANGE the amount claimed...or does the letter, on headed paper from his firm, constitute an intractable offer...which I obviously accepted?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : How did you accept please?

By email...and I have the letter confirming the offer in writing from two weeks ago. The loss assessor only 'changed his mind' on Friday !"!!


I also sent receipts for EVERYTHING.....and the loss assessor visited me AT HOME...and expressed NO reservation about the full claim.

Alex Watts : If there was an offer then it was accepted then this is a binding contract.
Alex Watts : If they offer a lower sum you can sue for the difference.
Alex Watts : This would be breach of contract and you could sue for loss and damage.
Alex Watts : You can issue a claim online at
Alex Watts : It would be a small claim so you won't need a solicitor.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Thank you.




Thank you for your help...much appeciated...!

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you