How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, I sold a car to a former employee two years ago. He has

This answer was rated:

Hi, I sold a car to a former employee two years ago. He has since that time failed to pay £1400 of the £2200 agreed price. Numerous times I have chased him. This week I asked for payment or return of the car which I would sell to clear the debt. I have now learnt that he has sold the car and kept the proceeds. I feel he has defrauded me and would like to report to the police. Is this something that the police will act upon

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but the police will say its a civil matter and it is really. I realise that you could argue that its criminal as well but their view will be that this should be in the civil courts. Also, from your point of view, your goal really should be to recover the money not have him prosecuted. The police prosecute people and so punish. The civil courts compensate.

This is only a small claims court sum so it will be cheap and quick to issue against him. You can do so here

You should really send him a letter before action warning of your intention to sue if he does not pay within 7 days first though.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you