How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am calling from a Non League football club. We have been

Customer Question

I am calling from a Non League football club. We have been approached by an Albanian national who wants to play football for our club. How can we help him to come to the UK so that he can join the club. Does he need a visa/work permit etc?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, he would need a work permit to play for you.

He could apply for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) work permit if he is recognised and endorsed by the governing body of football, see here

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice. Looking at the Tier 2 (Sportsperson) work permit documentation it looks as though this is intended for persons at the highest level in their sport i.e. a £ 30 million footballer coming from South America.....!! not I fear for a young, decent footballer wishing to play for a club at Step 4 level. I presume therefore he will just have to apply for a standard work permit. What about a visa? is that also covered by the work permit?


Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid I do not see any other way the person can play for you, the visa and work permit are the same thing. The UK Has really tightened up immigration rules.

Unless Albania joins the EU in which case the person could come and play here.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So what you are saying is that he has to follow the procedure to try and aquire a visa/work permit, and he can only do this through the British Consul in Tirana.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Yes correct.