How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

If I become an amateur performer in addition to my full time

This answer was rated:

If I become an amateur performer in addition to my full time day job, what tax liabilities will I have to meet?
e.g. if I get paid £60.00 per hour for up to 5 hours
and then royalties. Note also that the work is short term and not regular / may fluctuate.
This is some thing that I am thinking of ding but haven't started yet.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Are you self employed please?

No, I am currently employed by the Civil Service. Tax is deducted from by gross pay by PAYE.

Alex Watts : How much will you earn per year?

I don't know, it's difficult to say. As guestimate - £2,400 excluding any royalties which are difficult to predict.

Alex Watts : Ok. You need to inform hmrc within 3 months .
Alex Watts : They will then send you a tax return every April for you to fill in.
Alex Watts : Tax will be payable on these earnings without any tax free as you are currently employed, assuming you use that allowance there.
Alex Watts : Therefore you need to put aside your additional tax and Ni before you spend it!
Alex Watts : You may also be able to offset direct expenses for doing the activity, but an accountant can do your return to maximise any allowances.
Alex Watts : So in short, inform hmrc, set aside the tax amount and seek the help of an accountant to help full out your return.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

You mentioned that I may be able to offset direct expenses for doing the activity, would this be things like travel expenses? e.g. train travel and petrol receipts? I will have to spend quite a bit on train travel and paying for necessary fees, food and refreshments, so I'm assuming I should keep all receipts for these to show as a business expense. Also, accountants can be expensive, how can I go about finding one that will help me maximise my take home pay without charging me a fortune?


I don't quite understand the 'allowance' is there a tax free allowance? What is that?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you