How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Hi, a guy has sent me text messages asking me for £3000 otherwise

This answer was rated:

Hi, a guy has sent me text messages asking me for £3000 otherwise he will send naked photos of me I have previously sent him, to my husband. I have screenshot the texts and saved them, however his number is ***** under a different name on my phone and the saved pictures do not show his phone number as I have deleted the original texts. I am not sure if I can use these now as evidence or not or would I have to wait for him to text me again and then don't delete the original messages? I also want to know if I take this further legally or police, how likely is it I could keep it quiet from my husband? Plus what would the outcome be for the guy blackmailing me? Thanks.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.

The screen shots of the messages will be sufficient to commence a police investigation. Even of his name is ***** ***** your contact list the police will be able to trace him using the number. So I don't think you need to worry to much about the evidential aspects at this stage.

His behaviour amounts to blackmail and/or harassment. These are serious criminal offences and I recommend that you make a complaint to the police as soon as possible. If convicted you could get a restraining order to stop this person contacting you again in future. He could also get a seentence which could be a community based penalty such as unpaid work or a prison sentence depending on how long this has been going on, how bad his texts are etc.

I can't advise you on what to do about your husband. That's a personal matter not a legal one.

Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you