How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Burmese fiance came to the uk in march 2012 and we married

Customer Question

My Burmese fiance came to the uk in march 2012 and we married in april that year.
I paid for our visa lawyer, all costs for the fiance visa, and lawyer, the same again for the spouse visa, all his clothing, food, living costs, honeymoon etc.
During the last two years, my husband has been threatening, violent on many occasions, and I had him arrested twice, but the police couldn't remove him from our house and he came back sorry.
He is secretive re facebook and e mail accounts, incredibly manipulative (I've let him manipulate me for two years!).
He started doing odd jobs with a Thai builder for cash in the summer of 2012, which increased to mainly full time. I allowed this because all my mother's inheritance had been used up paying for him and we needed money. However, the conditions of his visa stated "no work". We still don't have the spouse visa despite it being a straightforward case, and, I had a routine endoscopy in October 2013 which ended in the disastrous situation of the equipment breaking off inside me, and having to have an emergency operation the next day to remove it, which was a very serious procedure, and I am still only at 50% capacity for doing daily life, so I haven't been able to work myself (hence, breaking the rules of the visa).
Despite this, I have recieved no physical or emotional support from my husband, and am expected to perform my marital duties as a fit and healthy person.
The final straw has been that I've found out that he has sent £2,000.00 to Burma to buy land for himself. So am cancelling his visa tomorrow.. which could take a while, and want him out of the house ASAP! Also, we are staying with my 97 year old grandfather, and my husband has kicked a hole in one of the doors, broken one of the chairs, and damaged the decor by throwing a bowl of oily pasta at the wall to name a very few.
We had an agreement that he pay me £200 per week for food, cooking, washing etc. but he never keeps the agreement.. he wants me to do more and more. is never grateful, and his sense of entitlement is astounding! Culturally, quote "Wife is not family, and lower than man"
I only brought him here to love and be loved but he hasn't even given me that!
Whatever I do I'm stuffed and doomed to be the loser it seems. If I file for divorce I will have to pay even more money. I want him gone, now!
Please help. Karen Grace
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who actually owns the property and on what basis do you live there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare,

thank you for your reply.

My grandfather is a council tenant at this property, and although we originally had a rental agreement at another property, we are staying with him as due to my ill health, and my husband's lack of support and my lack of finances.

as this was supposed to be temporary, however, we are not on the tenancy agreement.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Will your grandfather support you in any action that you take to force him to leave?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good morning.
My grandad will support me but we have not informed the council we are here, and he will worry that he will be in trouble wirh them for having us here.
This poor man has put his tenancy in jeopardy to make his beloved grandaugter happy, and i cant give hom more stress.
This is why I feel I am in a tricky, no win situation.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Your grandfather has done nothing wrong by having his family stay with him so there is no need for concern there.
he needs to write a letter to your husband giving him at least 14 days written notice to leave the property and at the end of that time he can change the locks and pack up your husbands belongings for collection.
If your husband tries to return to the property then the police should be called by your Grandfather as the owner of the property.
You can start the divorce proceedings based on your husbands Unreasonable Behaviour as soon as you wish to do so
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details