How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My father died intestate and his estate was left to myself

Customer Question

My father died intestate and his estate was left to myself and my sister. There was a lot of problems with the settlement of it due to myself not agreeing with several things. My sister signed for her share in full and final settlement many years ago. I am now accepting my share and have been told that the figure offered to me has a deduction of monies that are due to my sister as they were held on file. Is this correct? If she has signed in full and final settlement why is she now getting more money from the estate?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Normally when someone receives their share of the estate and signs a Discharge that is them paid in full and they can't make another claim.

Have you asked precisely what this relates to and why your sister is still due money.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have read through the breakdown of the estate and apparently its monies held back until the conclusion of the estate.

Thank you for your help.


C. Williams

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome.