How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

my partner has a british passport although it is out of date

This answer was rated:

my partner has a british passport although it is out of date and it shows he is a british citizen and he has been here for forty years, he is currently in prison and is due out in nine weeks, he was sent a letter asking him to send his passport to the home office as the onus is on him to prove this . he has sent a photo copy and has had his photo taken in prison but they want his passport so he can prove this but he is afraid to send it as obviously it his only way of proving this and is afraid they won t send it back. is this normal practice I know the border agency has been doing a lot with the forced repatriation service and this was the first letter he had in prison. when I rang a law centre and asked they advised for him not to sign any forms in the first place, can you give us some advice as we are both worried.

I would suggest that he send a copy of his passport certified by a solicitor as they should accept this.

If he is genuinely concerned about his passport getting lost, he should not send it to them, but a certified copy should be enough to satisfy the Home Office.

It should cost 5 pounds to have the original document certified by a Solicitor.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you JA how can I go about this as I have the passport and of course he is in prison, please give me more details.

Yes, you can do it for him, just go to any High Street Solicitor with the original document and a copy and ask them if they are able to certify it for you.

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am surprised I can do this as it is not mine and don t need anymore documentation?

You can do this yes, no more documentation required.

It is not illegal to have your partner's passport in your custody if you have his permission.

Hope this clarifies.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello JA I am asking advice continuing on from my query from the other day I rang a local solicitor to see they could verify my partners passport and they couldn t do this as they are not in a position to say it is a true likeness ? now what elaine

You need to find another solicitor, what they are certifying is a copy of the original document, it has nothing to do with the likeness of the passport holder.

Hope this clarifies
Customer: replied 3 years ago.