How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71040
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a conviction for affray 7 years ago. Will this count

This answer was rated:

I have a conviction for affray 7 years ago. Will this count against me when I go to court for section 47 next month

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Are they seeking to introduce it as bad character?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont know anything asyet just that it a magistrate court 10 july. I have not entered a plea but was wondering as my last conviction was 7 years ago would it still be held against me now

Yes, it could be.

They would have to make a bad character application to use it and show that it evidences a propensity to commit similar offences. Unless there is something strikingly similar about that matter though its quite unlikely to be introduced. Its quite old now.

If you are convicted then the court would consider it in relation to sentence but probably no more than that. Its an old matter and there are so many ways that public order can be committed that its quite unlikely to be an issue.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you