How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi. Thanks for taking your time out to read this. I have

This answer was rated:


Thanks for taking your time out to read this.

I have asked this question before on this forum but now I want to have a 2nd opinion.

I applied for my naturalization on the basis of married to a British citizen, 2 to 3 weeks ago and I got a confirmation from the Home Office on Wednesday 4th of June that they have received the application.
My question is the Flat me and my wife has been living for the past 4 years, we never paid any council tax. We just didn't do it because we were never asked by the Council Office and was never sent out a letter. I know it was my duty to inform the Council office but I didn't.
Now after applying for my Naturalization I found out that a new law was placed on December 2012 that in order to meet the " the good character " requirement the Home Office will make checks with the Council if the applicant has been paying Council Tax.

The information can be found on the page 24 of this document.

I went to the Council office today and told them that I would like to set up a payment plan to pay the council tax from March 2010. They agreed and has asked me to bring the
tenancy agreement of the time we first moved into this flat.

I am taking my tenancy agreement tomorrow ( 17th June ) to set up a payment plan.
I am going to get something in written from the Council Office that I have set up a payment plan with them.

I am thinking of taking that letter from the Council office and send it to the Home Office.

Now my QUESTION is when I send this letter to the home office what should I write in my covering letter to make my application be successful.

I really don't think I should tell them that I just let it slipped for so many years and now that I have applied for my Naturalization I realized I have to set up a council tax payment.

I would really appreciate If there is any immigration Lawyer/solicitor here who can help me to write a covering letter in such a way that could help me make my application successful.

I am also wondering is that even a good idea to send Home Office a letter or not?

Please only reply If you are certain that what should be done in a situation like this?

Just to let you know I have paid all other kind of taxes like income tax and NI and all my documents are completely legit and was sent though a Nationality Checking Service.



You really do not need to do anything, the Home Office will check directly with your Council and if the Council says that your account is in good standing, you will be fine. As long as there is no summons for failure to pay council tax.

You do not need to send any covering letter or even any notification from the council as that will just open a can of worms from my experience.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.




Thanks for your answer. I went to the council office today and got a repayment plan sorted. The first debit is going to come off on 1st of August and I have received all the documentation from them confirming that me and my wife are liable to pay all the taxes.

The guy at the Council office also told me that he wont put my case down as arrears nor any summons need to be carry out.


So are you 100% definite that I shouldn't let Home Office know about this because the other expert on this same forum told me to inform the Home Office.


Also, what If the home office has already made that check with the council before I set up a payment plan.


Please confirm that and I would rate to finish with satisfied with expert.





Hello Imran,

If the Home Office carried out their checks before you sorted the matter out with the council, then you could be in problem. You may check with the council if they have been contacted by the Home Office.

Otherwise you do not need to inform the Home Office as your account is not in arrears and no summons have been issued.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you