How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12080
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I was thrown out of the Family home by my Mother in April.

Customer Question

I was thrown out of the Family home by my Mother in April. She allowed me to take some of my belongings but then took my key. I still have the majority of my possessions still in my room there and she will not let me get them. She has made several demands to get my items out of her home, but then backs out of every arrangement. I spoke to a solicitor previously who provided me with a template that I could send to her in a letter. This basically detailed that if she did not cooperating with my provided dates, then I would take it to court. She responded with 'see you in court'. I just wondered what my next steps are now as I cannot find any clear advice on where to go or what to do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and I'm sorry your in this position.

As your mother has not complied with the request by you for access to get your things, the next stage is to get the solicitor to write a letter to her. If she ignores that then the solicitor will have to start the protocol towards raising court proceedings against her for delivery of your possessions, which failing for payment of a sum of money representing the value of them.

So your next stage has to be to see your solicitor. Depending on the value of the items it may be that you can use the small claim procedure and do the claim yourself but you should seek a meeting with your solicitor and go through all of this with him or her.

Happy to discuss further.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.