How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

Hi I am an Englishman living in Manchester, but I am looking

This answer was rated:

I am an Englishman living in Manchester, but I am looking to relocate to London when I find work.
I am wanting to bring my Russian girlfriend and her 10 year old daughter over to live in London with me.
She speaks good English, and we plan to marry as soon as possible, she would also like to find a job in London if possible.
I have been quoted a lot of money from various immigration lawyers, which I cannot afford, so I am looking for any options that are available to me, to enable my girlfriend and I to be together?.
We have known each other since the middle of February, and I am visiting her in Krasnodar, Russia for 2 weeks from the 21 july.

I am looking for any help and advice that you can possibly offer me?, to enable our plans to become a reality.

Kind regards

Carl Kennerley
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.

Would you wish to marry your girl friend in the UK?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Yes I am looking to marry her in the uk.

Thank you for your reply.

Could you please confirm if you are earning over 18,600 gross and have been working for the same employer for more than 6 months?
I understand that you wish to relocate? will that mean working for a new employer?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Yes I am earning over 18600, and I have been working for the same employer for 2 years.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I will relocate and it will mean working for a new employer.

Thank you for your reply.

In this case what your girl friend would need to do is apply from Russia using the online visa application system, she would need to use form VAF4A and also fill out appendix 2 of the form, please see the following link:

The form she will need to fill out online is here, she would need to register first:

In addition to the form she would need the appendix which she can find here:

Your partner will be apply for a fiancee visa which will allow her to enter the UK for 6 months within which you would need to marry and then submit an application for a spouse visa , from within the UK.

The spouse visa will be issued for 30 months and she can work etc during this period, before the 30 months have lapsed she would need to apply for an extension of her visa, her visa will be extended for another 30 months, once she has completed 5 years in the UK she will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

With regards ***** ***** you have mentioned you would need to show that you are earning at least 22,400 pounds gross enabling you to sponsor your partner and her child. It would usually be 18,600 if it was just your partner but because of the child there is an additional 3,800 income that you would need to show.

The documents you would need to provide are as follows:

1. 6 months payslips
2. 6 months bank statements
3. Employer letter confirming your employment and salary
4. Evidence that you wish to undertake marriage in the UK
5. Your partner would need to undertake an A1 English language test
6. Evidence of you and your partner's relationship via emails, telephone calls, skype , photographs etc
7. Evidence of accommodation in the UK

If you submit the application along with the above documents your application has a good chance of success, you should also include a covering letter detailing how you met etc and how and why you decided to marry in the UK.

If you will be relocating then I would suggest that you submit this application prior to relocating, as you can show 2 years continuous employment in the UK. If not then you would need to provide evidence of income for the whole year prior to the date of application as well as evidence that you are earning the required income with your current employer.

I hope this answers your question. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Thankyou for your detailed information, but could you possibly tell me where I need to send my letters, documents and application to?.

Also have you any idea on the timescale and how much this will cost?

Thank you for your reply.

1. In respect of sending documents, the application once completed online will need to be paid for at that time you chose where in Russia would be the best place for your partner to submit her documents. Once you click the closest application centre, she would need to travel there to submit the additional documents and also her fingerprints, the child would also need to travel.

2. The application could take anything between 4-12 weeks. The application would need to be paid online or I person once the application form has been completed my online. It could cost around 1000 pounds per applicant.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Thankyou for the information.

Could you possibly tell me where I need to send my documents etc, and who I need to contact to progress my application?.

My girlfriend has now registered and she tells me that if she goes for fingerprints, she cannot take her daughter, because she is not with her until mid august.if my girlfriend goes for her fingerprints soon, is it possible for her to take her daughter for her`s mid august?, or would you advise them to have them done at the same time?.

The problem with waiting till mid august is that it delays time.



Customer: replied 3 years ago.



I meant to ask, I need to be very clear as to who I contact to submit my application, ie; pay slips, application letter, Skype correspondence etc.

As I said my girlfriend is now registered and she will organise her side of things, however I am not clear as to who I contact?.



Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I am unable to inform you of where to submit the documentation all the information you require will be given when you complete the form and proceed to booking the appointed.

Unfortunately if they submit the application form together which I would recommend then they would need to submit their finger prints at the same time.

You need to send all the documentation to her and she will submit it with her documents. So what you need to do is get all your documents together and send it to her, she then takes it with her on the day of the application to submit with her documents.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



All I need to know is where do I get the application form from?

Is it the visa form that she has to obtain?. will all the information be on the form of what and where to send etc?.

Now that she has registered, will she obtain the form we need?.


Sorry to ask all these questions but I need to know exactly what to do.


Kind Regards.

Thank you for your reply, its no problem at all.

If you see the visa4uk link I sent earlier when you click and register its gives you the correct form automatically. All you need to do is follow the steps online after registering.

Yes all the information will be given to her once she has completed the form. You need to bare in mind that in addition to the online form she would need to fill in appendix 2, I have already provided you a link for this form. This form she cannot do online and must take with her to the appointment when she submits the application.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** clarified the matter.

Thank you for your reply. Its a pleasure.

I would be grateful if you could leave a positive rating so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you