How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71135
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

my daughters are 25 and 27yrs old, still living at home and

This answer was rated:

my daughters are 25 and 27yrs old, still living at home and want to move out but cant afford it so they say I have duties as mother to help them move out, after they have used me as punchbag and doormat for 10 yrs since death of their father my partner of 17 yrs. I love them but communication has broken down as I saw their disrespect for my family. where do I stand legally? I live in council flat. polly

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Are you asking if you can evict them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I need to know my rights as a mother

in relation to what?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my daughters say I am responsible and duty bound to help them find another home by letting them stay and save to move out. they say they will be homeless because of me telling them to go. It was their choice to leave after fighting with my family. They say I have to give 2 weeks notice which I did in anger. they say they cannot live with me as I am making their mental health worse. They cut off all personal care as I am disabled physically and mentally, and told me I should have sorted things out for myself but I was only diagnosed with personality disorder in January this year ! who can I turn to for help


They are talking nonsense.

They are adults and no longer your problem.

If they have paid rent then you do need to give them a period of notice commensurate with the rental term. If they have not paid rent then its best to do that anyway although arguably they are just guests in your house.

You have no other responsibility towards them

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you