How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My ex Landlord is withholding money from me and has extorted

Customer Question

My ex Landlord is withholding money from me and has extorted further monies.I was under the impression that I paid a deposit, but this is being touted as last months rent in advance, my landlord asked me to leave property early so he could move in new tenants when I informed him I wasn't going to stay another year. I left early on his request and he is refusing to give me my last months rent back. He also coerced me into paying additional fees and will not provide receipts detailing what they are for. Should I get representation in Court?


Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mark,

The easiest thing would be to make a court claim for the return of your money online at

If the claim is for less than £10,000, it will be a small claim and can be dealt by written evidence without a hearing, so you do not need to attend court and you do not need to appoint a lawyer.

You would need to show evidence to back your claim that your ex landlord owes you the money.

May I help further?