How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

What happens if A man knowingly finds my jewellery and sells

This answer was rated:

What happens if A man knowingly finds my jewellery and sells it to a jewellers fraudulently,and how do I get it back if he has received the sum of£2000 for it,what is my position.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi I lost my watch while out Thursday 12july,I tracked the person who found it didn't report to police,I traced him down and he had a jeweller sold ticket for £2000 pound wrote on it, he states he does not have the £2000 to repurchase it,so what it my position regards ***** ***** I back as I have all original proof that it belongs to myself.

You can sue him for the sum of money it is worth. Whether he acted innocently or not is unimportant. He did not have good title to this watch and so it should not have been sold on.

You can also report this to the police who will almost certainly act against him on the facts that you present here.

If you particularly want this watch then you could seek an injunction forcing the jewellers to hand it back and then they would have to sue him for their lost money as he didn't have good title to sell.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So would I be within my rights to go into the jewellers and demand my watch there and then once I have produced all my evidence and receive it straight away or have to go through the court system,or easier to pay them the 2000 and pursue the thief myself for monies owed
Well, nobody can stop you asking the jeweller to return it but if he doesn't agree then you would have to go to court to recover it.

If you report it to the police though then they would probably seize it and just return it to you.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you