How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My mother died in February leaving a flat worth 340,000. uneder

This answer was rated:

My mother died in February leaving a flat worth 340,000. uneder the terms of her will, my brother and I inherit half each. My brother is happy for me to pay him 170,000 and then I would own the flat. Can we do this without involving a solicitor?

It would be advisable to involve a solicitor to ensure that the process is done correctly and the deeds are registered in your name upon payment to your brother of the money.

There may be stamp duty land tax to pay for your brother selling his share to you.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could we do this as a transfer of equity? How much would the stamp dury be?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I have sent you a further question.

Stamp duty land tax is 1% on the £170,000.

Yes, it can be done as a transfer of equity as both of you own one half share of the property.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you