How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

if i need to serve some one legal documents as they owe me

This answer was rated:

if i need to serve some one legal documents as they owe me money and are refusing to pay is it illegal for them to not provide me with an address ?

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

What have they said about the address they did provide to you? Have they said this is their residential address?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they have given that address as the address i should send paper work too. to my knowledge the person in question has not had their own permanent address for some time and it may belong to a friend who they dont actually live with.

as for a permanent residential address i am unsure.


Thank you.

If you have the address confirmed from this individual, you can always serve the documents at that address. If the court asks then you can say you were given that address for the service of the documents.

The worst that will probably happen is the court will adjourn the proceedings to give this person time to consider the documents, if this person subsequently denies they have been served.

Your obligation for service does not necessarily involving verifying every detail, you just have to show that you acted reasonably on the information you had for example if you were serving a company taking an address from Companies House, or if it is an individual asking that individual directly.

If he is employed I would just double check the address is not his place of work.

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you