How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been sent a postal requisition form for driving at 58

This answer was rated:

I have been sent a postal requisition form for driving at 58 mph in a 40 mph zone. I am currently driving+living in the UK using a full Irish License (EU License). I need my license to work in the UK as driving is an essential part of the job. Can I be issued points by a UK Court on an Irish License?
What are my best options;
1. Should I change my license to a UK License?
2. Do I need to send my Irish license to the courts (Or at all)?
3. Is it best to plead guilty by post and if so what is the most likely outcome of doing this?

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Do you deny speeding please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No there is a picture which was captured by a speed camera that shows the speed, so I do not feel I am in a place to deny the speeding.


There is really no need to do anything.

You are perfectly free to drive on an Irish licence in the UK during the allowed period.

All it will mean from the point of view of the court is that a UK court cannot add points to an Irish licence or that of any other jurisdiction. That is probably why you have been summonsed rather than given the fixed penalty.

You will get hit with a higher fine to reflect the fact that they cannot add points but you will escape points.

You can plead guilty by post. Its just as good as attending in person unless you have a particular application to make that can only be made in person.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info.


What is the agreed period you referred to? I regularly travel to Ireland and drive in Ireland as I consider this my home.


I have a UK address as I work in the UK. Which address should I put on the forms? (UK Or Irish)


Do I need to let the courts know this when pleading guilty by post?


What paperwork do I need to return to them? (From reading through the forms, it appears I need to send the Plea form, statement of means and mitigating circumstance form) Is this correct?


Would you have an example of wording for the Mitigation circumstance form? Basically want to say I had a clean record prior to this, I was not aware I had entered the 40 mph zone and apologised for exceeding the limit. Could I ask that they be lenient with me due to the fact I need my car for work?

Is this a northern irish licence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No Southern Ireland.- Republic of Ireland

If this is Southern Ireland then you can drive upon it until you are 70 or 3 years from the date at which your residency in the Uk began.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for this info. What defines residency? As I travel home to Ireland to spend time with my family regularly and I count Ireland as my home address. My address in the UK is only a temporary address, i.e. renting for work purposes.


Which address should I put on the plea form?

It runs from the last date of your entry to the UK.

Which address do you live at regularly?