How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi,please help me, my sons school called social services and

Customer Question

Hi,please help me, my son's school called social services and took my son to the police, where they accused me of hitting my son with a belt. Apparently he told one of the teachers that I hit him with a belt nearly everyday. They called his father to as he has parental rights (we separated 2 years ago). He gave them permission for my son to have an examination to see if he had bruises. They saw a mark on his bottom which was approx 5cm long, and no other injuries or bruises, they then took him to the hospital where he was examined by a doctor. It has been a week now and they won't tell us what's going on. My son still lives with me, I am not allowed to talk to him about what happened or why he made these allegations, he is 5 years old and tends to lie sometimes. I have been questioned by the police but they still haven't told me whether they will press charges or not and say they are still waiting for the medical report. Since these accusations I have not been able to eat or sleep, but I still have to carry on as normal, going to work and looking after my son. Social workers have not been in contact since the allegations were made. If they press charges I'm at a big risk of losing my job as I work with vulnerable people. My son is healthy, happy and well looked after. We are very close, which is even his father knows that I would never do anything to hurt him. I don't know what to do, please help.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are you on good terms with your ex and is he likely to support you if there are problems?
What contact doe she have with your son?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, yes I am in good terms with my ex partner and he will support me if need be. He sees my son approximately twice a month.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The fact that Social Services have left your son with you is a very good sign that these allegations are not being treated as real - and if that is the case a prosecution is unlikely
The fact that your ex will support you rather than seek to use this against you also increases the probability that there will be no prosecution - however the fact that your child has said this at all does raise serious issues - as I am sure you appreciate
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare, the social services dropped the case over a week ago. They did a home visit and informed me that they will not persue the matter any further. However I am still waiting to hear from the police. Is there anything I could do in the mean time? I don't know what is going on or where I stand.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
That is excellent news as Social Services were the real risk here
There is nothing else you can or need to do