How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

my wife is trying to get me sectioned under mental health act.

Customer Question

my wife is trying to get me sectioned under mental health act. what happens to my house and bank accounts if succeed to get me into a psychiatrist hospital
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I would suggest that you make a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) which allows you to appoint people to make decisions on your behalf in the event that you become unable to make your own decisions.

See here for the process involved and information on the 2 types of LPA's available. You may decide to make both or 1 of them:

If you do not make an LPA and you are sectioned, you would not have control over your assets and they would lie in limbo until you came out of hospital and are able to make your own decisions.

if you are unable to make your own decisions and you have not made any LPA, the court of protection takes over and may appoint a deputy to make decisions for you, see here:

May I help further?