How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

The street where my mother lives is very narrowness and her

This answer was rated:

The street where my mother lives is very narrowness and her neighbour across the road insists on parking one of many cars right opposite her drive way which in effect prevents her from getting out as there is not enough space for her to turn out of the drive. It also impinges on access for her visitors and emergency vehicles. She has tried asking them to be more considerate with a very unpleasant response. She now feels trapped at home at night and should she be out always has to get back before they park up again for the tight access to her drive way. Is there anything in law she can do
Thank you for your question.

Is it a public street or a private road?

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Public street
As a matter of law the neighbour is causing a nuisance at common law. Your mother could take the neighbour to court for an order stopping the neighbour from blocking your mothers driveway. Such an application would be quite expensive but your mother could ask the court to award costs in her favour so that the neighbour would have to pay the costs.

Alternatively, as the neighbour is committing a criminal offence by obstructing the driveway, your mother would be justified in calling the police. She could also ask the council to line the road in such a way that the neighbour would be committing a parking violation by keeping the vehicle on that part of the road.

Happy to discuss further.

In the meantime I hope that this helps. Please leave a positive feedback so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you