How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can a Freeholder embark on works she considers urgent...

Customer Question

Can a Freeholder embark on works she considers urgent without any proof, and demands you pay? Have a letter to effect saying " it has come to lght that the current electricity supply into the 3 flats is inadequate and indeed illegaland must be replaced" Says that we have a single phase supply from one flat which splits into the other 2 flats and is illegal given the configuaration of the flats. Says this only came to light recently. She will involve her elctrician and edf at a cost of £4,400 plus vat. Ths will be shared 3 ways. I beileve she is instigating these works which are not necessary because this is the tactics she has been employing for long to get payment for things which generally benefit her. What can I do? I obviously am not in a position to make such payment and do not beleive it a neccisity as she says.


Just read or of the letter and found that the likely cost of the EDF involvment is £6,000 and £4,400 for her elctrician. Did not say works were urgent, just that the current supply to the 3 flats is innadequate. As far as I can see and from the record of the freeholder n the past this yet another trumped up works..I do not wan to be a part of it. I need advice so AI can respond to her soon. She has said that they will go ahead on the basis that each flat agrees, agrees to make full payment upon request and payment in advance..


Optional Information: 
System of Law: England-and-Wales

Already Tried: 
Nothing. Waiting for advice.

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nicola,


You can disregard this question of you cannnot find someone to answer. I have now called EDF and her Electrician and am dealing with it myself.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do not worry, as I am dealing with this myself now....