How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi I have 3 children - 15,11 and 8 with my partner. I am not

Customer Question

Hi I have 3 children - 15,11 and 8 with my partner. I am not married. If I move out howe much am I required to pay? I pay the mortgage of £1500 per month. Gross salary is £80k pa - plus pension of £10k. I am shortly to inherit £150k.


I would propose continuing to pay the £1500 mortgage.


partner earns £850 per month

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much os outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

House is worth maybe£400k - mortgage £280k I think


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about £400k

mortgage about £280k

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
How much would a cheaper three bedroom property cost to buy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

say £325K?


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I envisage renting a flat


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ian
It was the possibility of relocating your ex and the children that was the reason for the question!
Since you are no married your ex has no financial claims on your pension or your savings.
You do have to pay child maintenance
Crudely this is 19% of your gross at most - you can do a more specific calculation using the details here
You are also under a duty to help your ex house the children until they are 18.
Given that your maintenance liability does not even cover the mortgage BUT you will have a large capital sum soon which coupled with the equity in the house could be sufficient to buy a mortgage free property if you wish to avoid this it would be sensible to also offer to pay half of the ongoing mortgage so long as your ex is not co-habiting.
This can only be the crudest of guides - please ask if you need further details